Posted by Chantel M. Contributed by Rita Added February 12, 2003 | Recipe #53880, by Food.com
Total Time: 40 mins
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Rita~'s Note: This is a vegetarian dish from Bon Appetit January 2003
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup jasmine rice or 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (packed)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened light coconut milk
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu, drained,patted dry,cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 cup whole small cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- Stir shredded coconut in small nonstick skillet over medium heat until light golden, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Bring 1 3/4 cups water and salt to boil in heavy medium saucepan.
- Stir in rice; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, puree cilantro, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 teaspoon ginger, lime juice, and half of garlic in blender.
- Mix puree and coconut into rice.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add tofu; stir-fry until golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add onions, curry, cumin, red pepper, remaining ginger, and remaining garlic.
- Stir-fry 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and remaining coconut milk.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide rice among 4 plates.
- Top with tofu mixture.
- Sprinkle with peanuts.
- Availableat specialty foods stores and natural foods stores.
- Availableat Asian markets and in the Asian foods section of many supermarkets.