By Everblest, Added March 08, 2004 | Recipe #86124, posted in Food.com (Sources)
Total Time: 1 hrs 50 mins
Prep Time: 1 hrs 5 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
- 2 cups soybeans
- 1 medium onion
- 5 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 bag frozen spinach
- Soak soybeans overnight in at least six cups of water.
- Cook soybeans in new water until tender.
- 3Thaw spinach in a bowl in the microwave.
- 4Saute onion (You could add one green pepper if you like.) Mix soybeans, crumbled bacon bits, onions and spinach together and spread in a large casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix crumbled feta cheese, cottage cheese, and one egg.
- Spread cheese mixture over soybeans.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven 45 minutes until topping is brown and casserole is heated through.
- Variations: Use fresh spinach or broccoli or frozen broccoli.
- Note: You may need two eggs for binding the cheese to soybeans if feta is particularly dry.
- Sometimes I dust the top with a bit of paprika for color not for taste.
- You can use more or less bacon.
- It is just a teaser to get them to try it.
- I've made it without the bacon for a vegetarian friend of mine and she loved it.