Artichoke is a perennial thistle of Cynara cardunculus species of the Cynara genus, belonging to the family Carduoideae native to Southern Europe around the Mediterranean.
The herbal plant has been used in traditional medicine for as liver protective and detoxified agent, and to treat digestive disorders, abdominal pain gas and bloating, etc.
Fructooligosaccharides (FOS), are oligosaccharide, a molecule made up of a small group of these sugar,
Due to its nature as a natural source of sugar and low in calories, FOS may be used as an alternative sweetener as intake of FOS does not cause a spike in blood sugar.
FOS are considered prebiotics. Intake of FOS can increase the levels of good bacteria in the intestine, leading to a healthy ratio of gut microbiota.
Digestively, FOS contains high levels of soluble fiber which has been found to improve bowel function. Consumption of FOS also increased fecal bolus and the frequency of depositions, while a dose of 4-15 g/day given to healthy subjects has been found to reduce constipation.
According to the study, FOS also showed anti toxicity, carcinogenicity, and genotoxic effects.
FOS improved mineral absorption by decreasing levels of pH in the colon, thus facilitating the absorption of mineral ions from the intestine, mainly calcium and magnesium
Furthermore, FOS also found in studies decrease levels of serum cholesterol, triacylglycerols, the lead causes of cardiovascular diseases.
By modulating the levels of phospholipids, FOS lower the risk of coronary heart disease, inflammation or cancer, particularly in colon cancer.
In foods, FOS are increasingly included in food products and infant formulas for their prebiotic effect in stimulating the growth of nonpathogenic intestinal microflora.
In the examined the effects of chronic ingestion of short-chain fructooligosaccharides (FOS), an indigestible carbohydrate, on hepatic glucose production, insulin-mediated glucose metabolism, erythrocyte insulin binding, and blood lipids in 12 healthy volunteers selected received either 20 g FOS/d or sucrose for 4 wk in a double-blind crossover design, researchers found that the mean (+/- SEM) basal hepatic glucose production was lower after FOS than after sucrose consumption, through the effects on insulin-stimulated glucose metabolism in healthy subjects.
Taken altogether, artichoke processed many health benefits may be used as a functional remedy for diseases prevention in healthy subjects, pending to the validation of larger sample size and multicenter human study.
Natural Medicine for Fatty Liver And Obesity Reversal - The Revolutionary Findings To Achieve Optimal Health And Lose Weight
How To Get Rid Of Eye Floaters
Contrary To Professionals Prediction, Floaters Can Be Cured Naturally
Ovarian Cysts And PCOS Elimination
Holistic System In Existence That Will Show You How To
Permanently Eliminate All Types of Ovarian Cysts Within 2 Months
Back to Kyle J. Norton Homepage http://kylejnorton.blogspot.ca
Kyle J. Norton (Scholar, Master of Nutrition, All right reserved)
Health article writer and researcher; Over 10.000 articles and research papers have been written and published online, including worldwide health, ezine articles, article base, health blogs, self-growth, best before it's news, the karate GB daily, etc.,.
Named TOP 50 MEDICAL ESSAYS FOR ARTISTS & AUTHORS TO READ by Disilgold.com Named 50 of the best health Tweeters Canada - Huffington Post
Nominated for shorty award over last 4 years
Some articles have been used as references in medical research, such as international journal Pharma and Bioscience, ISSN 0975-6299.
(1) Dietary fructooligosaccharides and potential benefits on health by Sabater-Molina M1, Larqué E, Torrella F, Zamora S. (PubMed)
(2) Chronic consumption of short-chain fructooligosaccharides by healthy subjects decreased basal hepatic glucose production but had no effect on insulin-stimulated glucose metabolism by Luo J1, Rizkalla SW, Alamowitch C, Boussairi A, Blayo A, Barry JL, Laffitte A, Guyon F, Bornet FR, Slama G. (PubMed)
(3) Fructooligosaccharides: a review by Fishbein L1, Kaplan M, Gough M. (PubMed)
(4) Fructooligosaccharides: Applications and Health benefits- a review by SHUBHANGI S. KHANVILKAR, Shalini S. Arya*
- The Article and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCO)'s research
- Organic Green Tea
- Women Health (1) Articles
- The Women Health Curable Smoothie back by Respecta...
- Phytoestrogen Research
- Tofu and Healthy Foods (Over 1000) Recipes)
- Women's Health Research Articles
- Over 1300 Experts Health and Research Articles That Cover Foods and Herbal Medicne