1 C powdered sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tsp cornstarch
2 C soy milk
1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp of high quality vanilla essence
- Beat the eggs yolks with the powdered sugar and cornstarch.
- If using a vanilla bean, scrape the seeds into the soy milk.
- Warm the soy milk in a medium saucepan.
- Temper the egg mixture: slowly pour in a cup of hot soy milk while continuously beating the eggs. Then add the rest of the soy milk, while whisking.
- If using vanilla essence, add it now.
- Return the mixture to the pan. Stir until mixture thickens and reaches 170F (76 C) or coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Strain the mixture and chill until cool.
- Pour into ice cream maker. (Source)