Osteoarthritis (OA), a form of arthritis, is a chronic condition found mostly in the elderly caused by wear and tear on a joint.
The University of Porto Medical School in the definition of OA advised that one must understand the differences in prevalence and incidence estimates of osteoarthritis (OA), according to case definition, in the knee, hip and hand joints(3).
The condition affects over 25 million people in the United States.
The characteristics of osteoarthritis are aching pain, stiffness, or difficulty of moving the joint or joints. The pain usually gets worse in a change of weather, at night and in the advanced diseases, the pain can occur even at rest.
Today management of osteoarthritis (OA) focuses on pain relief and improved physical function and quality of life through pharmacological, nonpharmacological, and surgical treatments.
Most common causes of OA are
* Process of wear and repair
Osteoarthritis (OA), is a widespread degenerative disease of skeletal joints often associated with senescence invertebrates. arising from long term wear and tear, heavy long-term use or specific injuries. The improper repair process of injuring joints can also result in symptoms of osteoarthritis (OA) in old age, according to TCM.
* Nutrient deficiency and overload
Poor nutritional conditions experienced early in life are linked to the greater prevalence of osteoarthritis (OA), such as vitamin D. On the other hand, nutrient overload and metabolic surplus, such as obesity may contribute to early onset of osteoarthritis (OA).
Cartilage is a flexible connective tissue cushioned the ends of bones in the joints that allow the joints to move smoothly. Rough or wears down cartilage due to aging or damage can cause pain due to the bone in the joint rubbing against another bone.
The above causes of Osteoarthritis (OA) may also be the result of injury, overuse, and Rheumatoid Arthritis,
In other words, lifelong protection of cartilage and joint damage and injury have an inverse association with the risk of OA.
Bromelain, a proteolytic enzyme found in pineapples (Ananas comosus) has been used in traditional medicine as an inflammatory agent and to treat pains, strains, and muscle aches and pains and ease back pain and chronic joint pain, skin diseases, etc.
With an aim to find a natural resource for the treatment of osteoarthritis, researchers compared the effect of a combination of bromelain, trypsin, and rutin (ERC) to diclofenac.
The study included103 patients with osteoarthritis of the knee randomly received either the combination of bromelain, trypsin and rutin or diclofenac including 52 patients treated with ERC and 51 patients treated with the diclofenac.
According to the tested assay,
* The mean value of the Lequesne's Algofunctional Index (LFI) decreased from 13.0 to 9.4 in the ERC group and from 12.5 to 9.4 in the diclofenac group.
* Non-inferiority of ERC was demonstrated by both primary criteria, LFI (MW = 0.5305; CI-LB = 0.4171) and complaint index (MW = 0.5434; CI-LB = 0.4296).
Where LFI is a measurement of the severity of osteoarthritis.
* ERC also showed the superior improvement of secondary efficacy criteria, compared to diclofenac
* The global judgment of efficacy by physician resulted in at least good ratings for 51.4% of the ERC patients, and for 37.2% of the diclofenac patients.
Futhermore, the majority of patients rate the tolerability in both drug groups as very good or good.
Based on the finding, researchers wrote, " ERC can be considered as an effective and safe alternative to NSAIDs such as diclofenac in the treatment of painful episodes of OA of the knee".
Taken altogether, bromelain used alone or combined with conventional medicine may be considered a remedy for the prevention and treatment of osteoarthritis, pending to the confirmation of the larger sample size and multicenter human study.
Natural Medicine for Fatty Liver And Obesity Reversal - The Revolutionary Findings To Achieve Optimal Health And Lose Weight
How To Get Rid Of Eye Floaters
Contrary To Professionals Prediction, Floaters Can Be Cured Naturally
Ovarian Cysts And PCOS Elimination
Holistic System In Existence That Will Show You How To
Permanently Eliminate All Types of Ovarian Cysts Within 2 Months
Back to Kyle J. Norton Homepage http://kylejnorton.blogspot.ca
Kyle J. Norton (Scholar, Master of Nutrition, All right reserved)
Health article writer and researcher; Over 10.000 articles and research papers have been written and published online, including worldwide health, ezine articles, article base, health blogs, self-growth, best before it's news, the karate GB daily, etc.,.
Named TOP 50 MEDICAL ESSAYS FOR ARTISTS & AUTHORS TO READ by Disilgold.com Named 50 of the best health Tweeters Canada - Huffington Post
Nominated for shorty award over last 4 years
Some articles have been used as references in medical research, such as international journal Pharma and Bioscience, ISSN 0975-6299.
(1) Properties and Therapeutic Application of Bromelain: A Review by Rajendra Pavan, Sapna Jain, Shraddha, and Ajay Kumar. (PMC)
(2) Most Common Disease of elder: The Clinical Trials and Studies of musculoskeletal disorders(MSDs) - Osteoarthritis: The Causes and Risk Factors by Kyle J. Norton
- The Article and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCO)'s research
- Organic Green Tea
- Women Health (1) Articles
- The Women Health Curable Smoothie back by Respecta...
- Phytoestrogen Research
- Tofu and Healthy Foods (Over 1000) Recipes)
- Women's Health Research Articles
- Experts Health and Research Articles That Cover Foods and Herbal Medicne