Cancer is a class of diseases associated with cell growth disorderly and uncontrollably in the tissue of a specific organ. Over time cancer can become progressively worse and damage other healthy tissues.
Head and neck cancer is a class of cancer including the mouth, nose, throat, larynx, sinuses, or salivary glands.
Most cases of head and neck cancer start in the cell of the inner lining of the affected tissue. Patients with head and neck cancer at the very early stage are asymptomatic due to the very small size of the tumor. However, at the later stage, the cancer cell can travel a distance away from the original site to infect other healthy tissues and organs, leading to secondary metastasis.
The exact causes of head and neck cancer are not identified. However, researchers found that excessive alcohol intake, smoking, infected by the HPV virus, poor oral health, race, long-term exposure to wood dust are prevalent factors associated with an increased risk of head and neck cancer.
Dr. Shu-Chun Chuang in the investigation of the risk of diet on head and neck cancer (HNC) wrote, "An inverse association was observed for higher frequency intake of fruit (4th vs. 1st quartile OR=0.52, 95% CI=0.43–0.62, ptrend<0.01) and vegetables (OR=0.66, 95% CI=0.49–0.90, ptrend=0.01). Intake of red meat (OR=1.40, 95% CI=1.13–1.74, ptrend=0.13) and processed meat (OR=1.37, 95% CI=1.14–1.65, ptrend<0.01) were positively associated with HNC risk. Higher dietary pattern scores, reflecting high fruit/vegetable and low red meat intake, were associated with reduced HNC risk (per score increment OR=0.90, 95% CI=0.84–0.97)". wrote, "
In other words, a diet rich with fruits and vegetables and low red meat intake reduces the risk of HNC, whereas, a diet rich with red meat and processed meat is associated with a higher risk of the disease.
The onion is a plant in the genus Allium, belonging to the family Alliaceae, a close relation of garlic. It is often called the "king of vegetables" because of its pungent taste and found in a large number of recipes and preparations spanning almost the totality of the world's cultures.
Depending on the variety, an onion can be sharp, spicy, tangy, pungent, mild or sweet.
In the urgency to find a potential compound for the treatment of head and neck cancer, researchers investigated the potentially favorable role of garlic and onion within the International Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology (INHANCE) Consortium.
By analyzing the pooled individual-level data from eight case-control studies, including 4590 cases and 7082 controls, researchers found that at the 95% confidence intervals (CIs) for associations between garlic and onion intakes and HNC
* The ORs of 0.95 was associated with participants with no or low garlic use, and 0.74 for high garlic use participants.
* Increasing onion intake OR was 0.91 ( for >1 to ≤3 portions per week) and 0.83 ( for >3 portions per week) compared to <1 portion per week.
* Furthermore, higher onion intake showed a significant inverse association with laryngeal cancer risk (OR = 0.69; 95% CI 0.54-0.88).
In other words, the risk of head and neck cancer is decreased proportionally with the amount of intake of onion daily and weekly, particularly in laryngeal cancer.
Based on the finding, researchers wrote, "The results of this pooled-analysis support a possible moderate inverse association between... onion intake and HNC risk".
Taken altogether, onion may be considered a remedy for the prevention and treatment of head and neck cancer, pending to the confirmation of the larger sample size and multicenter human study.
Natural Medicine for Fatty Liver And Obesity Reversal - The Revolutionary Findings To Achieve Optimal Health And Lose Weight
How To Get Rid Of Eye Floaters
Contrary To Professionals Prediction, Floaters Can Be Cured Naturally
Ovarian Cysts And PCOS Elimination
Holistic System In Existence That Will Show You How To
Permanently Eliminate All Types of Ovarian Cysts Within 2 Months
Back to Kyle J. Norton Homepage http://kylejnorton.blogspot.ca
Kyle J. Norton (Scholar, Master of Nutrition, All right reserved)
Health article writer and researcher; Over 10.000 articles and research papers have been written and published online, including worldwide health, ezine articles, article base, health blogs, self-growth, best before it's news, the karate GB daily, etc.,.
Named TOP 50 MEDICAL ESSAYS FOR ARTISTS & AUTHORS TO READ by Disilgold.com Named 50 of the best health Tweeters Canada - Huffington Post
Nominated for shorty award over last 4 years
Some articles have been used as references in medical research, such as international journal Pharma and Bioscience, ISSN 0975-6299.
(1) Relation of allium vegetables intake with head and neck cancers: evidence from the INHANCE consortium by Galeone C1, Turati F1, Zhang ZF2, Guercio V3, Tavani A1, Serraino D4, Brennan P5, Fabianova E6, Lissowska J7, Mates D8, Rudnai P9, Shangina O10, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N11, Vaughan TL12, Kelsey K13, McClean M14, Levi F15, Hayes RB16, Purdue MP17, Bosetti C1, Brenner H18,19, Pelucchi C1, Lee YC20, Hashibe M21, Boffetta P22, La Vecchia C. (PubMed)
(2) Diet and the Risk of Head and Neck Cancer: A Pooled Analysis in the INHANCE Consortium by Shu-Chun Chuang,1,2 Mazda Jenab,2 Julia E. Heck,3 Cristina Bosetti,4 Renato Talamini,5Keitaro Matsuo,6 Xavier Castellsague,7 Silvia Franceschi,2 Rolando Herrero,8Deborah M. Winn,9 Carlo La Vecchia,4,10 Hal Morgenstern,11 Zuo-Feng Zhang,3 Fabio Levi,12Luigino Dal Maso,5 Karl Kelsey,13 Michael D. McClean,14 Thomas Vaughan,15Philip Lazarus,16 Joshua Muscat,16 Heribert Ramroth,17 Chu Chen,15 Stephen M. Schwartz,15Jose Eluf-Neto,18 Richard B. Hayes,19 Mark Purdue,9 Stefania Boccia,20,21 Gabriella Cadoni,22David Zaridze,23 Sergio Koifman,24 Maria Paula Curado,2 Wolfgang Ahrens,25Simone Benhamou,26 Elena Matos,27 Pagona Lagiou,28 Neonilla Szeszenia-Dabrowska,29Andrew F. Olshan,30 Leticia Fernandez,31 Ana Menezes,32 Antonio Agudo,33Alexander W. Daudt,34 Franco Merletti,35 Gary J. Macfarlane,36 Kristina Kjaerheim,37Dana Mates,38 Ivana Holcatova,39 Stimson Schantz,40 Guo-Pei Yu,40 Lorenzo Simonato,41Hermann Brenner,42 Heiko Mueller,42 David I. Conway,43 Peter Thomson,44Eleonora Fabianova,45 Ariana Znaor,46 Peter Rudnai,47 Claire M. Healy,48 Gilles Ferro,2Paul Brennan,2 Paolo Boffetta,49,50 and Mia Hashibe. (PMC)
- The Article and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCO)'s research
- Organic Green Tea
- Women Health (1) Articles
- The Women Health Curable Smoothie back by Respecta...
- Phytoestrogen Research
- Tofu and Healthy Foods (Over 1000) Recipes)
- Women's Health Research Articles
- Experts Health and Research Articles That Cover Foods and Herbal Medicne