Oxidative stress is a condition associated with overexpression of free radicals as a result of a chain reaction that can not be stopped.
More precisely, oxidative stress is caused by the imbalance of the ratio of free radicals and antioxidants produced by the host.
Antioxidants are stable atoms that inhibit oxidation.
Over time, oxidative stress induces damage of protein, lipid, and cell DNA can lead to the incidences of chronic disease, including heart disease, diabetes, and cancers.
Free radicals are unstable atoms with an unpaired electron in the outer ring. Therefore, in order for them to become stable, free radicals are ready to steal or donate an electron from or to other atoms.
Oxidative stress can be preventable if antioxidants in the body can pair all electrons in the outer ring.
The overexpression of free radicals is bad. However, free radicals generated from cell metabolism may play a critical role in the synthesis of energy and essential molecules and boosting the immune system.
Believed it or not, skin aging is a result of the accumulation of damage inflicted by reactive oxygen species (ROS), according to the free radical theory.
In a healthy individual, antioxidant enzymes produced by the body are more than enough to accounter the expression of free radicals occurred in our body every day.
However, in people with a weakened immune system such as the elderly, the intake of dietary antioxidants such as supplements or fruits rich with antioxidants may be the only option to improve levels of antioxidants in the body.
Artichoke is a perennial thistle of Cynara cardunculus species of the Cynara genus, belonging to the family Carduoideae native to Southern Europe around the Mediterranean.
The herbal plant has been used in traditional medicine as liver protective and detoxified agent, and to treat digestive disorders, abdominal pain gas and bloating, etc.
The small, white navy bean, also called pea bean or haricot, popular in both dry and green forms, is very popular in Britain and the US, native to Peru. It is now grown and consumed across the world, due to its numerous health benefits.
With an aim to find a potential compound for the prevention and treatment of diseases associated with oxidative stress, researchers examined the effects of black and navy beans containing non-digestible fermentable components (SCFA precursors) and phenolic compounds (phenolic acids, flavonoids, and anthocyanins) antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity.
In an animal model, C57BL/6 mice were fed a 20 % navy bean or black bean flour-containing diet or an isoenergetic basal diet (BD) for 2 weeks before the induction of experimental colitis via 7 d dextran sodium sulfate (DSS, 2 % (w/v) in the drinking water) exposure, researchers showed that
* Cooked black and navy bean diet increased caecal SCFA and fecal phenolic compound concentrations (P< 0·05) inhibit the colonic and systemic inflammation.
* Both beans diet reduced mRNA expression of colonic inflammatory cytokines such as IL-6, IL-9, IFN-γ, and IL-17A) and increased anti-inflammatory cytokines such as IL-10.
* Furthermore, systemic inflammatory circulating cytokines (IL-1β, TNFα, IFNγ, and IL-17A, P< 0·05) in the acute and chronic inflammation and biomarkers associated with oxidative stress caused by the injection of dextran sodium sulfate (DSS) are also inhibited by the cooked black and navy beans.
* Unfortunately, both bean diets also are found to enhanc3 DSS-induced colonic damage, according to the increased histological injury score and apoptosis
Based on the findings, researchers suggested that bean-containing diets exerted both beneficial and adverse effects during experimental colitis by reducing inflammatory biomarkers both locally and systemically while aggravating colonic mucosal damage.
In other words, black and navy bean diet inhibit parameters involved in inflammation and oxidative stress and have a negative impact on colitis severity.
Taken altogether, navy beans may be considered a remedy for the prevention and treatment of diseases associated with oxidative stress, pending to the confirmation of the larger sample size and multicenter human study.
Natural Medicine for Fatty Liver And Obesity Reversal - The Revolutionary Findings To Achieve Optimal Health And Lose Weight
How To Get Rid Of Eye Floaters
Contrary To Professionals Prediction, Floaters Can Be Cured Naturally
Ovarian Cysts And PCOS Elimination
Holistic System In Existence That Will Show You How To
Permanently Eliminate All Types of Ovarian Cysts Within 2 Months
Back to Kyle J. Norton Homepage http://kylejnorton.blogspot.ca
Kyle J. Norton (Scholar, Master of Nutrition, All right reserved)
Health article writer and researcher; Over 10.000 articles and research papers have been written and published online, including worldwide health, ezine articles, article base, health blogs, self-growth, best before it's news, the karate GB daily, etc.,.
Named TOP 50 MEDICAL ESSAYS FOR ARTISTS & AUTHORS TO READ by Disilgold.com Named 50 of the best health Tweeters Canada - Huffington Post
Nominated for shorty award over last 4 years
Some articles have been used as references in medical research, such as international journal Pharma and Bioscience, ISSN 0975-6299.
(1) Cooked navy and black bean diets improve biomarkers of colon health and reduce inflammation during colitis by Zhang C1, Monk JM1, Lu JT1, Zarepoor L1, Wu W1, Liu R1, Pauls KP2, Wood GA3, Robinson L4, Tsao R1, Power KA. (PubMed)
- The Article and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCO)'s research
- Organic Green Tea
- Women Health (1) Articles
- The Women Health Curable Smoothie back by Respecta...
- Phytoestrogen Research
- Tofu and Healthy Foods (Over 1000) Recipes)
- Women's Health Research Articles
- Over 1200 Experts Health and Research Articles That Cover Foods and Herbal Medicne